tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 21 08:25:06 1996

Re: Repetition

ghItlh qeSmIv HarghwI':
>     toH  valjaj latlhpu' law' DutulnISchu'

chaq <'e'> DachelnIS 'ach DIch vIghajbe'.  loQ mumISmoH <-jaj) <Du-> je.

This would make much more sense to me if the prefix on the last word were
changed to {Da-}.  "He clearly needs to hope you" doesn't look right.  If
this is supposed to be "You have to hope that many others are clever," the
use of {-jaj} seems very odd, and you need to use {'e'} as the object of
{DatulnISchu'}, referring to the {val} sentence.  There are only two cases
where the {'e'} isn't used: if the second sentence is {neH} "want," and in
a direct quote using a verb of speaking such as {jatlh}, {ja'}, etc.  I
can't quite accept {tul} as a verb of speaking.

>     loghDaq Hop Hut DISvam jarDaq cha'DIch nargh lut chu'

lutmey chu' vIloS.  QaQjaj chaH!

I'm uncomfortable with the physical (place) suffixes {-vam} and {-Daq} being
applied to temporal (time) concepts.  {DISvam} clearly means "this cave" to
me.  "This year" is too much of a word-for-word translation for my tastes,
and {jarDaq} doesn't sit right either.  English "in," when it is applied to
periods of time, means "during" more than it means "inside".

I'm also a bit leery of the way you've translated "On Deep Space Nine".
According to TKD 4.4, type 5 noun suffixes like {-Daq} are placed after
a verb used adjectivally, instead of on the noun being modified.  However,
I'm sure you don't mean that new stories appear on the station itself!  I
dont think {-Daq} works well to say things like "Next, on 'Oprah'..." or
"Yesterday, on 'General Hospital'..."  I would instead say something like
{...nagh <logh Hop Hut> lut chu'}.

>   <puqloDpu' mogh> 'oH lut pong

If this is supposed to be "Sons of Mogh," the word order is backwards.
It's fine if the episode's title is "Frustrated sons." :-)

>tlhIngan Hol lugh lo' 'e' vItul 'a ghaytan qartaHghach luchavbe'

Hol lo' 'Iv?  You've said that you hope that "he" uses correct Klingon.
If you meant "they" (whoever "they" are), it needs to be {lulo'}.

>     logh Hop Hut Dabej'a'

pIj <logh Hop Hut> vIbej jIH.  vIbej rut 'e' vItIv.