tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 09 01:14:36 1996

Re: KLBC: several questions

> See above.  I don't feel comfortable interposing subordinate clauses in the
> middle of the main clause.  They can go before it or after it, but in the
> middle seems odd (-meH clauses we know can modify nouns, and also can only
> come before clauses they modify).

The original sentence heard missing it's -taH's, I speculated that it
might be possible that a -vIS without -taH could act in the manner of
-meH, modifying a noun. I didn't get much support, others seem to regard
the missing -taH's as a Qaghna'.

> As to "??? Sop", I too wonder.  Nearest I can guess is "peSop", making it a
> command ("Eat!")... but then why in the plural?

In many countries, I think it's considered polite to address a singular
person in plural. I also doubt that Klingons originally have a phrase for
"bon appetit". It's just something a tourist wants to hear, therefore
translated from a language that has more cultural niceties.

Again, I think I'm nearly alone in my belief of this not being a plunder.

> ~mark

 .:ghor:.

Back to archive top level