tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 08 06:46:41 1996

Re: Verbs as Objects

was given to believe that the origin of that phrase comes from a
Native American warrior culture. Since I reside in the UK, I know
much less about this than someone in the US, but I'm sure that
someone could confirm its exact origins.

Whatever, the phrase, or something very like it, has been used by a
number of Terran warrior cultures, both on the American continent and
in the Old World. Witness the Norse Viking plunderers, Spartans and
Japanese Samurai, all of whom are the inspiration for Klingon culture.

I would hypothesise that the phrase "It is a good day to die" would
translate into Klingon as something like

                                             HeghmeH net QaQ jajvam

See if you agree or not. By the way, when is Marc Okrand going to
give us the Klingon word for "window?" It would introduce the art of
defenestration to Klingon Fighting, as well as give us the Klingon
translation to the immortal joke "Who cleans the windows on the
Enterprise?" "Oh, Wesley ..."

Alexander T. Greene
"Remember; nothing is certain, except uncertainty. And I'm not even certain about that."
email me on [email protected]. Just call me Lord Sinister

Back to archive top level