tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 05 12:06:20 1996

Re: a new clipped Klingon phrase - for your perusal

> \
> \ 		yI'chop			bite me! {roughly translated}
>
> Not quite, for these reasons:
>
> 1. There's no {'} in the imperative prefix {yI-}; it's just {yIchop}, not
>    {yI'chop}.

Already did that... next...

> 2. {yIchop} can't mean "bite me!"; it can only mean "bite him!",
>    "bite her!", or "bite it!".  "Bite me!" would be {HIchop}.

...and that... next...

> 3. The fact that you're bothering at all with an imperative prefix makes it
>    not clipped.  Clipped Klingon refers to a syntactic simplification of
>    the language; the clipped form would be just {chop}.  In this form,
>    the identity of the bitee is no longer explicit; if it's not clear from
>    context, you have to use the non-clipped form.

Now THIS is new! Okay - I was assuming that the non-clipped form of the phrase
would be something along the lines of "You will bite me!" or some derivitive.
If this is incorrect, I gladly admit my mistake, and bow to your superior
knowledge of the language. Kai Kassai!

> You'd be better off reading the dictionary's grammatical sketch than
> skimming the vocabulary and trying to plug-and-chug based on examples.
> It's a lot to swallow, but if you make a start, then you can ask
> questions here and the Beginner's Grammarian can help you understand
> and apply what you've read.

Something tells me I'll be doing a bit o' reading tonight... Qapla!

Doug "The MAD Klingon" Pandimen
aka Sergeant D'Karng "tlhIngan-dogh" K'Zharn, IKV QOQ'IQ/IKC De'wI'Daw
c/o: Jacen "The Jedi Twin" Cantwell
[email protected]

			* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Yeah, I hear they broke the mold, and then shot the sculptor..."
"Ye gods! I actually DON'T CARE!!! Wake me when it's over..."
			Ched Larynx, "The PanDimensional Impossiblist"

"My God! This parachute is REALLY a knapsack..!"
"Hey look! That monkey's got a Ross growing out of his ass!"
"Oh, sorry - you had a paleontologist on your face... But it's gone now, so
you're okay..."
"I think she's trying to tell us something... quick, get the verbs..."
			Chandler Bing, "Friends"

Back to archive top level