tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 03 15:28:35 1996

Verbs as Objects

***** BAD KLINGON FOLLOWS ***** You have been warned.

ghItlhpu' "William H. Martin":

> According to David Wood:
> >      jIghItlh wIvoqbe' Hoch jIh je.

> Let's try that again:
> ghItlhwIj wIvoqbe' Hoch jIH je.

> > HIgh jaj QaQ 'oH. (<-- Pending gramattical corrections, natch!)

> I would not know where to begin. {High} is a verb. We have two
> complete sentences mashed together:

> The day fights dirty it is good.

> Keep at it, though. reH maDub.

     I'm having a confusion about the appropriate times to use a verb phrase as
a subject or object. The two sentences above are the symptoms.

     The first attempt, [jIghItlh wIvoqbe' Hoch jIh je], was supposed to read as
"Even I don't trust what I write." Perhaps I should instead have written
[jIghItlh 'e' wIvoqbe' Hoch jIH je]. The correction from charghwI' translates as
"Even I don't trust my writings," which, while correct, goes against the
"verb-based" nature of Klingon as I've seen it discussed here.

     The second I probably shouldn't have tried for two reasons. I wanted to say
"It is a good day to fight dirty," in a way to most closely mirror the classic
mock-Klingonism "It is a good day to die."
     First, I probably shouldn't have tried it without finding the actual quote
(frowned upon as it is). As a result, I constructed a sentence which made little
sense.
     And second, it was a play on words -- taking advantage of the very slight
difference in text and sound between the words to die ([Hegh]) and to fight
dirty ([HIgh]). And given the Klingon reverence for tradition and procedure, I
doubt any Klingonists will appreciate such a first fumbling attempt at a PUN.
(Whether it's because it's fumbling, or because it's a pun remains to be seen.)

     Regardless of the intent, however, it begs the question: what would be the
right way to say those things? I'm trying to point a verb phrase at another verb
phrase, in subordinate clause-like fashion.

     English accepts all manner of verb clauses as objects: participles,
gerunds, and that third thing which I can't remember now. Klingon (as practiced
by the purists, anyway) seems just a bit intractable when it comes to phrases
pointing at others.

-- David Wood, Freelance Computer Consultant
("Freelance" is just a cheesy way of saying "Irregularly Employed")

Back to archive top level