tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 19 11:55:46 1996

Interview w/Okrand prt @

Question:       Hi Marc. What other languages do you spea ?

MarcOkrand:     Well, the only language I'll fess up to is English.  As a

linguist, one studies about language as a phenomenon.  To do that, you

study about a lot of language, but don't necessarily learn to speak them.
For whatever reason, a lot of the language I've studied about are dead -
so I never learned to speak them.  I did study a number of languages in

high school and college, of course, but never became really fluent in any

of them.

Comment:        I thought that the Conversational Klingon tape was a riot.

 I almost drove off the road laughing so hard.

Question:       What kind of jobs do linguists do--when they're not making

up languages?

OnlineHost:     This will be the last question for tonight.

MarcOkrand:     Most of the people I went to graduate school with (who are

still doing linguistics) are teaching at the college level.  But others

have gone into computer programming, and others are working with immigrant

groups or with Native American groups trying to retain their languages.
Interestingly, one person I know has a degree in linguistics and is no

programming a computer to understand Klingon!  (And I'm not talking about
myself!)  Odd, huh?
OnlineHost:     Thanks to everyone for attending. We apologize for not

getting to all of the questions.

MarcOkrand:     Thanks to everyone for coming by.  I had a great time here

and I hope I was able to answer your questions in a way you found helpful.

 Qapla'!!
---
 * OFFLINE 1.58

Back to archive top level