tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 08 21:41:49 1996

Re: KLBC: vInIDqa' (Re: KLBC: HIboQqa')

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996 [email protected] wrote:
> But a preacher isn't the same as a teacher. The Hebrew word in the
> passage (and the name of the book), "kohelet", isn't generally used for a
> teacher.

We keep complaining when learners try to translate word for word, and
now we complain when a translation doesn't match the original exactly.
The modern American Christian understanding of a preacher is a teacher.
And, considering what the original is saying, this is almost more
philosophy (ie concept) than religion (ie method) so I feel that the word
teacher is quite appropriate.  I would like to congratulate the
translator for not giving up or whining about not having the word for
preacher and for taking the time and effort to find another appropriate word.

janSIy

Back to archive top level