tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 06 08:12:40 1996

Re: KLBC: tera'ngan pab

On  5 Feb 96 at 22:19, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ghItlh 'etlhqengwI':
> >mubel mu'tlheghlIj chup.
>
> nuqjatlh?  "It be pleased me it suggests your sentence."
> "To please" would have to be {belmoH}.  {chup} isn't a stative
> verb so it can't be used like an adjective. ("to be suggested"?)
> I think you meant something like {mubelmoH mu'tlhegh Dachupbogh}.

This is *exactly* what I was attempting to say.  A good example of
my too literal translation from the english "Your suggested sentance
pleases me"  I clearly need to spend more time with the less common
suffixes for such things as causation and relative references.

> Or, more simply, {mu'tlheghlIj vIparHa'}.  Let me know if I have
> misunderstood you; I'm forced to guess at the meaning of what you
> wrote.

You guessed correctly.  The only thing lacking in the second version
you wrote was that I wanted to incorporate not only that I liked the
proposed sentence, but that I was pleased you made the suggestion.

Thank you.

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level