tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 01 06:33:56 1996

FOR MNIXON: list & name

Sorry for posting this to the whole list, but I keep getting bounces from
the address shown in the next line.  How do other list readers see
"macn!mnixon"'s email address?

>>> NEVADA.SMTP."[email protected]" 01/30/96 09:39am
I forget, and am terrible embarrased about it, but if I want to put a
message in the mailing list what address do I send it to?
I tried tlhingon-hol@kli-org  but I think that's just the main server not the
actual mailing list.
Thanks.

<<<
You just made a small spelling mistake [ghItlhtaHvIS loQ bIQaghpu' neH]:
   [email protected]  [-an-, not -on-]
That's all.

-m'IHal (do you think that's an ok transliteration, btw?)
<<<
I would drop the apostrophe.  Klingon words and syllables never start
with two consonants, and the apostrophe IS a consonant (glottal stop).

OTOH, that leaves mIHal, which is a very good transliteration of a
different name: Michal, a Hebrew female name.  Which may or may not
matter to you.  Your name is Michael? It also comes from Hebrew.
   mIHa'el  [note the "e", and the location of the apostrophe]
is a pretty good transliteration in appearance as well as a good Klingon
spelling of the Hebrew pronunciation.

On the gripping hand, in this list we regard names as being pretty much
what their bearers want them to be, even if they go outside the normal
rules of Klingon grammar and word structure.  Here are three examples.
I'll quote Mark Shoulson on the origin of his and my names:
   ---- quoting Mark Shoulson ----
 Here's how my name (Seqram) came about:  There were (and still are)
several "Mark"s on the list.  One of them is Mark Mandel (Hi, Mark!), who
started calling himself "marqem", presumably from "Mark M." respelling in
Klingon. [Right. -- marqem]  Thought I, "that's pretty cool."  So I did the
same with my name: Mark S. -> marqeS.  And then not to look TOO much
like a copycat I spelled it backwards: Seqram.  I liked the way it sounded
and looked, and it means either "seismic fault of the night" or "trivial
seismic fault"... the meaning isn't important, but at least it doesn't mean
"boneheaded moron." So it works...
   ---- end of quotation ----
 Both "marqem" and "Seqram" are well-formed by the rules of Klingon
word structure, but have no, or irrelevant, meaning.  ("qem" means
"bring", but "mar" has no known meaning.)  Rachel Wyman, who was
one of my Klingon speakers for the Language Lab of Simon & Schuster
Interactive's forthcoming "Star Trek: Klingon" product, has been active in
a Klingon (life/game, not language) group since before she got involved
in the language, and uses the name r'Hul, which is totally impossible for
tlhIngan Hol but stylistically consistent with some of the ST novels.
qay'be'.

So.  Maybe you now know more about Klingon names than you wanted
to know. Go ahead.

Qapla'!

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level