tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 30 19:55:17 1996

RE: KLBC Buy me a drink

December 30, 1996 6:26 PM, jatlh Stefan Reich:

> HurghwI' wrote:
> > I realize that there was a little discussion about this recently, but I'm
> > still not comfortable with <jItlhutlh 'e' yIDIl>.

> This is my proposition: <jItlhutlhbogh yIDIl> ("pay for what I drink").
> What do the grammarians say to this?

*If* you accept using a headless relative clause, then you'd need to indicate
that there *is* an object with {vI-}.  {vItlhutlhbogh yIDIl}.

Again, *if* you can use this sort of thing, then this is a very elegant way of
saying this.  If you *can't*, well . . .

Personally, I favor the "can't" side, but *I'm* the one who found the pesky
sound file on KCD in the first place!  My preference is not a matter of what I
think is right or wrong, but simply a matter of aesthetics.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level