tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 26 14:36:34 1996

RE: KLBC

December 26, 1996 8:10 AM, jatlh loDDoq:

> qIm(I see I can use it!good..)SuStel,

maj.

>  jang bItlho'
>  thank u for answering.

Klingon doesn't have infinitive forms, which is how I think you're trying to
do this.  Look:

bIjangmo' qatlho'.
Because you answered, I thank you.

>  yIjIH
>  on screen(I KNOW something is wrong here:should I say just jIH or what?)

I'd say that the verb {jIH} is probably very similar to the word {bej}, with
{jIH} having the idea of "keep an eye on something."  {yIjIH} means "Monitor!"
or "Monitor it!"

In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the Klingon captain says {wIy cha'} for
"Tactical!"  Literally, he's using clipped Klingon and saying "Display the
tactical display!"  If you are asking for a tactical, you can say {wIy cha'}.
The full version would be {wIy yIcha'}.  Or, if you're asking for a visual
display, you can say {HaSta cha'}, or {HaSta yIcha'}.

Another possibility: say {jIHDaq yIcha'} "Display it on the viewing screen!"

>  yIja'
>  report!(like Picard tells to the officers)

maj.

>  "yIlupeghrup ya"
>   "tactical officer,prepare yourself to transport!"

Make sure you remember the {'} in {-'egh}.  At first I thought you were using
the word {pegh}.

{lup} means "transport" as in "travel from one place to another."  If the
tactical officer is about to get in a ground vehicle, this would work.
However, I believe you mean transport as in a transporter device.  The words
to choose from are {jol} "beam (aboard)" and {Qol} "beam away."  Choose the
verb based on the situation.

ya!  yIQolrup!
Tactical officer!  Prepare to beam away!

Note that I didn't use {-'egh}.  He's not beaming himself, he's being beamed.
The {-'egh} acts on the verb, but the suffix {-rup}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level