tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 24 15:19:49 1996

RE: KLBC: best & worst, WAS mu'thlheghmeywIj chorghDIch vImugh

December 23, 1996 6:55 PM, jatlh HurghwI':

> Actually, I was talking about best and worst as adverbs. In other words, "He
> fights the best." You had the right idea . . . I would change that to "He is
> the best fighter," but this gets hard when you have verbs that don't have
> such ready nouns.

That's a problem which you cannot avoid.  It's a built-in difficulty of
Klingon.  However, I usually manage to find some way to say it.  Often, I
don't need the law'/puS construction, either!

> Take "He who laughs last laughs best." - nIv HaghwI' Qav -
> This works, but I think it loses the whole repetitive nature of the
> sentence.

Do you really think that the repetitive nature of the sentence was terribly
important?

> Of course, I just realized you could do - HaghwI' nIvqu' 'oH
> HaghwI' Qav'e' - or is it HaghwI''e' Qav?

{bortaS nIvqu' 'oH bortaS'e'}.

{-'e'} is a Type 5 noun suffix, and so must be put on the adjectival verb,
just like {-Daq}, {-vo'}, {-mo'}, and {-vaD}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level