tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 24 09:31:44 1996

Re: KLBC: best & worst, WAS mu'thlheghmeywIj chorghDIch vImugh

> If I wanted to say "He is the best fighter." :
> > SuvmeH ghaH QaQ law' Hoch QaQ puS
> >
> > and conversely for "He is the worst fighter":
> > SuvmeH Hoch QaQ law' ghaH QaQ puS
> >
> > or is there a much simpler way of stating the ideas of "better" and
"worse"?

Actually, in The Klingon Way, Marc Okrand has furnished us with a simple
way of saying "best" or "worst".  I did not notice it untill I read
Captain. Krankors "From the Grammarians Desk" in HolQeD Vol. 5 #2.  Krankor
points out the proverb on page 121 of TKW: *bortaS nIvqu' 'oH bortaS 'e' *,
"Revenge is the best revenge."  Here, *nIvqu' * meaning "very superior" is
used in place of "the best".  Thus It seems to me that *QIvqu' * would work
for "worst" also.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level