tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 24 05:58:19 1996

Re: Hello

>Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 15:34:12 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>December 23, 1996 7:10 AM, jatlh Kajetan Krzywonos:
>
>> 	Im an avid Startrek fan and I joined the mailing list cause thought it
>> would be fun to learn the language of the barbarians :-)
>
>tay'qu' tlhInganpu' jay'!!  tIQ tIghDaj.  Dun bomDaj.  quv qonDaj.
>
>Ahem.
>
>chaq "troll" DanID . . .

Hee... Or not... I thought it was an interesting opening, when you consider
that strictly speaking, it isn't possible to speak "the language of the
barbarians."  The Greeks called non-Greeks "barbarians," I understand,
because when they spoke, the Greeks (who of course considered themselves
civilized and also didn't understand their language) heard them as saying
"bar-bar-bar-bar...," hence, "barbaroi"/barbarians.  With that origin in
mind, one can say that once you understand someone's language, that person
can no longer be a barbarian (unless the language really does consist of
nothing but bar-bar-bar, which I would doubt.)

~mark

Back to archive top level