tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 22 12:19:38 1996

RE: hello

December 22, 1996 12:37 PM, jatlh SuSvaj:

> ghItlh TPO
>
> > nuqneH does not mean greetings; and we know what he wants.
>
> I think we are all aware that nuqneH literally means "What do you want?"
> However it has been explicitly stated that nuqneH is the "only" greeting in
> tlhIngan Hol, and that is how it is commonly used.

Oh dear, here we go again.

{nuqneH} is indeed the only standard greeting, but that doesn't mean you use
it the same way you use "hello."  Klingons have social situations where it is
correct to use {nuqneH}.  Why would it mean "what do you want?" if it really
meant "hello?"

I can't find this in the FAQ . . . hmmm . . .

As we learn in Power Klingon, a Klingon prefers straightforwardness.  Start by
stating your business.  Walking up to a person and asking {nuqneH?} and then
starting to talk without waiting for a reply would be viewed as mad to a
Klingon.  When a Klingon says {nuqneH?}, he means it literally!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level