tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 20 11:00:23 1996

RE: "Excalibur" vImugh

December 18, 1996 9:30 PM, jatlh HurghwI':

> >{'ej Datlhutlhta'DI', qaSba'pu' . . . qaSba'pu'}.
>
> I see what you're getting at. I like the repetitive nature this gives the
> phrase. However, why remove the {-qu'}s? I saw them as essential to the
> meaning. This quote is from the same scene. Gwenevere gives Arthur a little
> cake that she baked for him, and won't tell him what's in it, except that
> it'll make him sleepy (it is supposed to help with his war wounds). Arthur
> examines it, and Merlin babbles his remark (you really have to see this
> movie, Merlin is good at being crazy and wise at the same time). Then Arthur
> takes a bite, and Merlin mumbles "too late," the second time. I realize this
> is a bit off topic, but it is necessary for correct translation by context.

I have seen this movie . . . a couple of times.  But it's been a long time,
and my video store's copy is broken.

If you want the {-qu'}s, put them back in.

Remember, there's no "right" translation.  If yours and mine differ, so what?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level