tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 20 10:54:40 1996

RE: law'/puS (was: KLBC. First attempt)

December 19, 1996 2:22 AM, jatlh T'Lark:

> > When chosing the verb of law'/puS sentence, you must choose a stative
verb.
> > As Okrand says on TKD p. 70, "Any verb expressing a quality or condition
may
> > fit into the Q slot."
>
> > {yaj} is not a stative verb.
>

> What exactly is a quality or condition?  For example, does expectation
qualify
> as a condition?  (It certainly doesn't seem dynamic.)  Can we say:
>
>   meQtaHvIS veS, SoH loS law' Hoch latlhpu' loS puS.
>
>   While the war burned, you waited more than all the others.

What does a burning war look like?  :)

If the verb in TKD has "be" in the definition, such as {nIv} "be superior,"
then it's a stative verb.  {loS} is "wait (for)," so it is not a stative verb,
and cannot be used in the law'/puS sentence.

meQtaHvIS vaS, loSlI'ghachlIj nI' law' latlh loSlI'ghach nI' puS.

Literally, "While the hall burned, your waiting was longer than others'
waiting."

or

meQtaHvIS vaS, bIloSqu'.  loQ loS neH  latlhpu'.
Literally, "While the hall burned, you *really* waited.  The others only
waited a little."

(Sorry for changing to {vaS}, but I'm not sure what you meant by using {veS}.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level