tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 20 07:14:32 1996

See Spot run

T'Lark (Irene Gates) summarized:
> Grammatically speaking, "See Spot run" is very weird, very English,
> and neither simple nor boring.

I disagree completely!  This sentence is not weird at all.

"See Spot run" is a command: "Hey you -- see something."
Commands are just as easy (and boring) as other sentences:

  {yIlegh}  "See it."

The "something" there is another sentence: "Spot runs."  Using
sentences as objects is easy (and only slightly less boring):

  {qet "Spot" 'e' yIlegh}  "Spot runs; see that."

The vocabulary might be a little inappropriate -- both {bej} and {tu'}
occur to me as alternatives for {legh} -- but the grammar is simple.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level