tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 19 13:17:48 1996

RE:Elbow Strike

ja' may'qal ro':
>Since there is no word (yet) for elbow. I decided to recast elbow strike
>into - bent arm strike.

I don't know what "elbow strike" means, and "bent arm strike" is just as
cryptic for me, so I assume it has the right meaning. :-/

>based on what I have read in TKD bent arm is - DeS SIHta'.

No, {DeS SIHta'} means "He has accomplished bending the arm."

>If this is incorrect please inform me what would be correct as bent arm.

Consider yourself informed. :-)  The phrase "bent arm" can be translated
{DeS SIHlu'ta'bogh} "an arm which has been bent".

>Next mup is the verb strike.  I need it to become a noun strike would
>mupghach work?

Putting {-ghach} on a bare verb is a weird thing to try.  I'd translate
{mupghach} as "impaction".  I'm trying to express how nonnormal it is.
{mup} sounds to me like "run into"; for striking someone else, I'd use
the verb {qIp}.

>The previous suggestions are ok but since I have recast the term of elbow
>strike to mean bent arm strike they don't seem to work.
>
>Now to head any complaints off, I discussed with my students:  "If I ask
>you to show me a bent arm strike what would you do?"  They all 100% of 150
>students I asked showed me one of the 5 elbow strikes that I teach.  So I
>know this recast is intelligble for my audience.\

I can't help much without knowing what "elbow strike" or "bent arm strike"
means.  Does it involve using a bent arm to hit someone?  If so, I'd say
{qIpmeH DeS SIH} "He bends the arm in order to hit."  I'm quite certain
that the vocabulary will work much better if you try to talk about actions
using verbs instead of nouns.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level