tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 20:43:59 1996

Re: parmaq------

:In a recent DS9 episode, Worf and Dax went for a vacation on the planet
:Risa.  At one point, Worf told Dax that she was his "parmaq(something or
:other)".  That is, he used the word "parmaq" in conjunction with another
:word.  He seemed to mean that Dax was his "beloved".  If so, it would mean
:the same as "bang".  Did anyone out there actually catch what Worf said?
:
:SuSvaj

The line from "Let Him Who is Without Sin..." was:  "Jadzia, you are my
par'machkai, and that means everything you do reflects on me." I checked
the spelling in the closed captions; Dorn pronounced it /par-ma-KAY/.

Jadzia and Worf are in an unusual position in the eyes of other Klingons
since Klingons traditionally "take the oath" (i.e. get married) after their
first mating. (Not that Worf should really mind, seeing that he is still
discommended back in the Empire.) Less than a marriage, this is still
viewed as a solemn commitment which Worf felt Jadzia wasn't taking
seriously. Perhaps "betrothed" or "fiancee" is a good equivalent?  Maybe
"paramour", to connect it to par'Mach "the Klingon word for love, but with
more aggressive overtones"?

I wonder if bang ("the object of one's affection" or "beloved") can be used
by a parent to refer to one's children. Or is it only used in the romantic
or sexual sense?

Voragh

Back to archive top level