tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 12:03:28 1996

Re: WorFFF?

On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, HurghwI' wrote:
:>I was thinking and I don't know where the name Worf comes from. Klingons
:>don't have the letter F so can a Klingon be called WorF?
:>
:>Can anybody say where the F comes from?
:>
:>Thanks Derick.
:
:It comes from . . . PARAMOUNT! I _think_ that the official tlhIngan Hol
:spelling of "worf" is {worv}. Worf is merely a terran spelling . . . just
:like B'ellana, with it's capital B and glottal stop just tossed in.
:
:-HurghwI'

It's wo'rIv actually (cf. Skybox cards S8 and S20). /rv/ is an
impermissable consonant cluster in tlhIngan Hol--at least in the
transcription we use, but not in Paramount's. Okrand often inserts an
unstressed {I} between the consonants of a back-fit Paramount word,
probably pronounced fairly weakly (cf. bIreqtal "Brek'tal ritual" in KCD).
He also does this for Paramount words of the C'CvC type (an apostraphe
between two initial consonants): qIvo'rIt toQDuj "K'Vort-class
Bird-of-Prey" (Skybox S7), qItI'nga "K'Tinga-class [battlecruiser]" (Skybox
S15). And B'Etor is spelled be'etor in Skybox S26. Note that the stress
naturally falls on the syllable containing the vowel + ' (glottal stop) if
you're pronouncing the {'} distinctly.

Of course, Okrand doesn't always do it this way. In KCD he spelled d'k tahg
as Daqtagh--probably because most actors pronounce this word using an "uh"
(as in "up") or even an "ah" (as in "sat") for the apostraphe instead of an
"ih" (as in "sit").

Voragh

Back to archive top level