tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 13 12:47:20 1996

Translation

My friend sent me this the other day when he found out I was beginning to study
Klingon:

> juSpu'DI' wa'vatlh DIS, ghoSbogh veS Suvlu'pu'DI', yay wIghajDI' tlhIngan
> wo', tlhIngan Hol bojatlhbej Humanpu' Hoch jay'! Heghbej DIvI' Hol! Heghbej
> Human Hol latlhmey Hoch je! che'bejqu' tlhIngan Hol!

My best translation is pretty sketchy, maybe the original was badly written.  I
dunno.
:
As soon as one hundred years have passed,
which follows war as soon as it has been contained (it is over?),
as soon as (we of) the Klingon Empire possesses victory,
Certainly all you humans will speak the Klingon language *jay'*!
Certainly the Federation language will die!
Certainly the human language will die *latlhmey* everyone/thing as well!
Certainly the Klingon language will RULE!

I couldn't find <jay'> or <latlhmey> in my dictionary or on the web page.
I think that <jay'> is an adverb of duration, like forever.  <latlhmey> is
the plural of the objective noun <latlh>, but what does <latlh> mean?

Qapla'!

Miranda
PS:  I gave an oral presentation on tlhIngan Hol in my English class today.
My prof was quite impressed, however if you are going to try to speak Klingon
for a group of people, DRINK LOTS OF WATER.  Cottonmouth makes it impossible
to pronounce anything correctly.  Got the glottal stops down, though. :)

Back to archive top level