tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 12 18:33:56 1996

Re: the other <taH>

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Andrew 'Ska' Netherton wrote:

> 	I see that <taH>, in the addendum, means "endure".  However, I'd
> still like to know exactly how and when one would use <taH> "be at a
> negative angle to".  How about:
>
> 	<Duj yItaH!>
> 	Dive!
>
> I guess that also depends on from where you measure the angle from,
> else it could mean the exact opposite.   Am I even close, or is this far
> too literal a translation?

I've often thought of that {taH} meaning "to be hanging from the underside
of something".  I like the way that ties into "endure".  (Sort of like
how {SaH} means both  "to care" and "be present}.  When my wife is
talking too much and I think to myself {jISaHbe'}, Icertainly feel both
meanings (at least, I wish I wasn't there.))

>  / _ \                                   \         ** Andrew Netherton **
>  \__)|        "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"         \ __     jo'Sqa, tlhIngan SuvwI'
>      \      I came, I saw my cousin.    |(_ \   Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

--,ter'eS

Back to archive top level