tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 11 06:39:46 1996

Re: Odo quote from Trials & Tribblations

jatlhqa' SuStel:
> December 10, 1996 9:58 AM, taDI'oS:
> > jatlh SuStel:
> > > chay' ghaH luvangmoH yIHmey?
> > But do we have canon for this dual use of "how" in Klingon?  I'm
> > not familiar with it.
>
> Hmmm . . . well, the Useful Klingon Expressions section of TKD has {chay'
> Dochvam vIlo'} "How (in what manner) do I use this?"  not "What is it that
> allows me to (by what means do I) use this?"  I had not considered this
> problem before.  I'm not certain of the answer, nor am I able to see it
> clearly all the time.  I see what you're saying, but it's hard for me to
> distinguish . . .
     It's a fine distinction even in English, but the examples Voragh
gave seem to support the dichotomy.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |