tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 08 19:26:22 1996

Re: Syllable Structure

<Is it because some actor used the word "animal" in some Star Trek film?>

This hypothesis is correct.  Krug first used the word HaDIbaH in ST III.
If you look closely you can see that the actor was saying "animal", and the
Klingon was dubbed over later.

SuSvaj

----------
> From: d'Armond Speers <[email protected]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject: RE: Syllable Structure
> Date: Sunday, December 08, 1996 7:18 PM
>
> On Sunday, December 08, 1996 5:28 PM, Oliver
> Pereira[SMTP:[email protected]] wrote:
>
> > I've been wondering about <Ha'DIbaH>, as well as <yuch>... I've decided
> > that it's probably a borrowing from English! :-) It is very similar to
> the
> > word "animal", especially if pronounced by one of those Klingons who
> > pronounce <D> as <N> and <b> as <m>. It even has the stress on the
right
> > syllable! I would have thought that if it was a native word, especially
> > since it would be quite common, it should only have one syllable.
> >
> > Is it because some actor used the word "animal" in some "Star Trek"
film,
> > and then someone decided that it should be in Klingon instead, so Marc
> > Okrand had to make up a word to fit the actor's lip movements? I just
> read
> > an explanation similar to this for some Klingon speaking to their
> > computer, and it seems to fit this too.
>
> A very good hypothesis!  We have Kruge saying /Ha'DIbaH/ to the gunner
who
> destroyed the ship, after he instructed him to "target engines only!"  (I

> don't remember the exact sequence of events, but I remember him saying
this
> word).  I'd be willing to bet there's a good chance this was done in
> English, and dubbed Klingon later, following your supposition.
>
> > 'olIva'
>
> --Holtej
> Stardate 96939.11

Back to archive top level