tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 11:46:06 1996

RE: KBLC: <ghor>

December 06, 1996 1:09 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> > What does the sentence {ghor taj} mean?  Does it mean that the knife
causes
> > something to be made into pieces, or does it mean that the knife itself
> > becomes several pieces?
>
> 	Notwithstanding what Okrand says in TKD, can't we tell just by the
> placement of <taj> as the subject and not the object?  Were the knife to
> make itself break, wouldn't it become <taj ghor 'oH>?

My point is that before TKW, if I told you {ghor taj}, you wouldn't know if I
had just said "The knife cuts it up," or "The knife falls apart."  These are
extremely different interpretations.

> 	BTW, what *would* <ghor taj> mean?  I'm still not 100% sure.

{ghor taj} means "The knife breaks it," as in "The knife chops it up into
little pieces" (or whatever).  This is the transitive interpretation of
"break."  Your example of {taj ghor 'oH} above means "It breaks the knife."

pIpyuS yIghor!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian