tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 08:25:40 1996

RE: greetings

> >  At the very least, Klingons have honour, and
> >treat those who have it with more.  This leads me to believe that there
> >*must* be some honourific greetings *somewhere*.
>
> Why must one give a greeting in order to be honorable?  A plethora of
> greetings seems to be something Klingon society simply lacks.

	I didn't say that they had to give a greeting to be honourable.  I
meant that were they to give a greeting, at some time (as appropriate), it
*should* be honourable.  There doesn't have to be lots, but I'm sure
there's one somewhere.

> >        Maybe the reason we think there's only one is that Maltz was a bit
> >bitter about being a Federation prisoner, and used only that one greeting.
> >That seems much more likely to me...
>
> TKD and one of the tapes (CK?) both say that there is exactly one greeting:
> {nuqneH}.  TDK claims to have gotten most of its information from a single
> captured Klingon, but the tapes draw on more than Maltz as their source.

	Again, were the Federation prisoners?

  / _ \                                     \        ** Andrew Netherton **
  \__)|         "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"          \ __    University of Waterloo
      \       I came, I saw my cousin.       |(_ \      Ontario, Canada

Back to archive top level