tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 18:06:19 1996

Re: jaH

I've been avoiding getting vocal in this discussion, but I have to jump
in here.

Nick writes:
>...We have been imbuing Okrand
>with foresight in including prepositions in the definitions, but there's a
>very simple reason why he wouldn't say 'go to', but 'go': 'to' is the default
>preposition built into 'go' in English. 'To go' means 'to go to', by default.

No, Nick, it doesn't.  When used without a preposition, "go" simply means
the opposite of "stop".  There's no "default"; nothing is "built into" it.

Because there indeed is a valid meaning of "go" by itself, *I* really don't
think that the word {jaH} should be interpreted as including the locative
notion.  The explanation of the verb {ghoS} further convinces me that if
Okrand had intended {jaH} to be able to mean "go to", he'd have said so.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level