tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 13:25:14 1996

Re: RE: KLBC: lut

ja'ta' SuStel:
> There are a couple examples, I think.  The one I remember is from Star Trek V:
> {HIvHe yIchoHmoH!} "Alter the attack course!"

ja' charghwI':
>I heard that whole line as the single word {yIghoSchoH!} Were we
>watching the same movie? I transcribed this from my own
>videotape and I'm pretty sure this is correct. No {HIv} as noun.
>No {choH} as verb.

I was paying close attention to the dialogue as I watched it last
week on the SciFi channel, and *I* clearly heard the end of the line
as {...choHmoH}.  I ran out to the kitchen at the commercial break,
trying to explain to my wife how I had just noticed evidence for
{choH} being an intransitive verb. :-)

The first part of the sentence didn't quite make sense as I heard it;
it sounded like {*HIvHey}.  I'm willing to consider that SuStel's
transcription might be accurate, and that {HIv} was used as a noun.

I had closed captioning turned on, but they didn't caption the Klingon
words, other than an occasional note that Klingon is being spoken. :-(
For instance, when Klaa takes full responsibility for the unauthorized
attack on the Enterprise, Koord prompts him with "maj. 'ej?"  There's
no subtitle at that point, and the caption reads "[SPEAKING KLINGON]".
Klaa then mutters "I apologize."  I think the credits at the end said
the closed captioning was "courtesy of the SciFi Channel", so it might
not be the same captioning others have seen.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level