tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 12:44:30 1996

RE: KLBC: Re: Hamlet

> > > nom <http://www.kli.org> yISuch.
> > > <credit card> DaghajnIS.
> >
> > rIntaH.
>
> What is finished?

*Hamlet* vIje' rIntaH.
I have purchased "Hamlet". (As on TKD p.41.)
"It remains accomplished... it is done, and it cannot be undone."

OK, so it didn't make much sense following on from the "<credit-card>
DaghajnIS" bit. Maybe I should have put it after the bit about going to
the KLI page with someone's credit card SHARPISH!! Would it have made
sense then?

> > SoS *credit card* vIlo'ta'. chaw'.
> > I used my mother's credit card. She permitted it.
>
> Is there a reason you used {-ta'} on {lo'}?  Your translation doesn't shed any
> light on this.

TKD p.41: "This suffix is used when an activity was deliberately
undertaken, the implication being that someone set out to do something and
in fact did it."

Well, I set out to order "Hamlet" from the KLI's website, and in fact did
it. Isn't that right? OK, I suppose it wasn't necessary, but was it
actually incorrect?

It's rather confusing: I've previously been learning a language with tense
and no aspect (Esperanto); now I'm learning one with aspect and no tense.
Tricky.

'olIva'

| Oliver PEREIRA  | [email protected]    ***VIVU ESPERANTO!***  |
| Selwyn College, | See the Cambridge Esperanto Group's web page at  |
| Cambridge       | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/keg.html     |
| CB3 9DQ         | It's really good! (Because I didn't write it.)   |