tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 10:57:03 1996

Re: RE: Embedded wh-questions

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 10:19:42 -0800 d'Armond Speers
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether wh-elements 'in situ' (in their base position, as
> they are in Klingon) can be interpreted at the matrix level, like the ones
> that move in English.
>
> English has another quirky bit of behavior, in that some syntactic
> structures prevent wh-elements from moving to the matrix clause.
>
> 	I wonder who John likes.
> 	Who do you wonder whether John likes?

I can't imagine a Klingon offering any answer but {jISaHbe'.}

Anyway, for the first sentence:
nuv parHa' *John* 'e' vIpIH 'ach nuvvam vIngu'laHbe'.

and for the second:
'Iv DapIH?

> 	I wonder who likes Mary.
> 	* Who do you wonder whether likes Mary?

*Mary* parHa' nuv 'e' vIpIH 'ach nuvvam vIngu'laHbe'.
'Iv DapIH?

> Since wh-elements don't raise in Klingon, they remain 'in situ', we don't
> have such extraction effects.  For instance,
>
> 	*Mary* parHa' 'Iv 'e' vISIv.
> 	'Iv parHa' *John* 'e' vISIv.

This can be broken down into:
Who likes Mary? I wonder that.
John likes whom? I wonder that.

Still, it sounds very ugly to me. You are using "wonder" almost
as if it were a verb of speech and the question is the direct
quotation. Meanwhile, that would not use the {-'e'} or the
Sentence As Object construction at all. "'Who likes Mary?' I
wonder." Or, "I wonder. 'Who likes Mary?'"

That is the crux of my problem with this construction.

> To my ear, though these are syntactically correct, they sound like
> gibberish.  Again, my mind has a hard time raising the scope of the
> question to the matrix level.

I think that it is squeezing close to quotation and I'm not sure
that we can extend the grammar of quotation to include verbs
like "wonder".

> Maybe it's sleep deprivation, as I prepare for my exams.  Ugh.

ghaytan DuH.

> --Holtej
> Stardate 96922.01

charghwI'