tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 09:54:39 1996

Re: Glottal stop ['] question(s)

In some other languages, like Hawaiian, initial vowels can be
started more softly than they are in English. The word "Hawaii"
in Hawaiian does not, for example, begin with an "H" sound at
all, but it sounds too soft to spell "Awaii", so we add the "H",
since English has no such soft onset.

In other words, in English, the word "attitude" would be spelled
in Klingon {'atItuD} because we ALWAYS start our open vowels
with a glottal stop, just like Klingons do, except Klingons have
a letter of the alphabet for it and English speakers don't.

charghwI'

On Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:47:51 -0800 Kevin Shaw <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Direct me to a FAQ if I've missed it somewhere along the line,
> but I've never come across how to pronounce the ' if it's at
> the beginning of a word... I'm sure it has something to do
> with whatever letter comes after the ', but even with the
> cassettes it is hard to tell...!
>
> Please respond directly to my address as I usually consolidate
> this list and read it on the weekend.

Will Martin
UVA ITC SCD Desktop Computing

Back to archive top level