tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 03 08:01:17 1996

Re: KLBC on naming convention

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'

> I can certainly understand "The shuttle is wrecked" to refer to
> the process of wrecking the shuttle.  It depends on whether you
> read "is wrecked" as passive for "wrecks", or if you think that
> "wrecked" is an adjective.  The English is ambiguous, but there
> can definitely be an equivalence between "it wrecks the shuttle"
> and "the shuttle is wrecked" in my view.

I agree to some point. What I should have said is that I think
{-lu'} should not be used to describe a state but only to describe
an action. charghwI' mentioned in an other post that the stative
was equivalent to an action in the past. I'm not sure but I don't
think so. _Maybe_ it's about the same as a _completed_ action.
But even then I see a subtle difference between "one has wrecked
the shuttle" and "the shuttle is wrecked"(stative).
(I'm NOT talking about things like "the shuttle is being wrecked"
or "the shuttle is wrecked by blah", which are of course reasonably
translated by -lu')

HomDoq

Back to archive top level