tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 30 19:33:19 1996

Re: KLBC: Small grammar point

Soruk/toDbaj/whoever writes:
>I was under the impression (maybe wrong, someone please fill me in) that
>in tlhIngan Hol there were no instances of 2 vowels being run together.

We don't have any examples of two vowels without an intervening consonant.

>(flames to /dev/null...)
>Then I came across: ghuoy. Which started me thinking. (to be exact: Erm..)
>Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Certainly.  In the addendum to TKD, section 3.3.1, discussing {-oy},
Okrand has a parenthetical remark:  "(Though there are no examples,
it is suspected that for those few nouns which end in a vowel, ' is
inserted before this suffix.)"