tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 29 09:15:00 1996

'New' word in TKW?

I'm curious about a word in The Klingon Way that I can't find in any
other sources, the verb <<Hutlh>>. I had real problem translating two
sentences:

quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh.

"The Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honour."

and

'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH.

"Only an enemy without honour refuses to show himself in battle."

>From the sense of these, I presume that <<Hutlh>> means 'to lack' or 'to
be without' - am I right here?

Also, could someone please help me with the translations of the two
above sentences into English - when I worked through them on my own, I
ran into problems with <<'ach>> in the first one (what is 'but' doing
there?) and with <<-Qo'>> in the second one - in both cases, I couldn't
see where they fit into the translation provided.

qatlho'!

qSeroHS veyn
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level