tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 26 20:26:26 1996

Re: KLBC: Re: Nouns as Verbs

Daniel writes:
>HollanDaq bIghoS. *Ganja* qatlhIchqang.
>
>I know {tlhIch} is, but I couldn't find a verb that meant the same.

~mark was entirely too lenient on this, in my opinion.  If you can't
find a translation for a word, *DON'T* make one up!  Try to figure a
different way to say what you want; if you fail, it's okay to use the
english word.  But try to get to the *meaning* you want to express!
To "smoke" a cigarette is a very complicated concept, involving fire,
burning leaves and paper, and breathing the resulting smoke.  If you
don't want to get too detailed, the important part is {tlhIch tlhuH}.

Now for the rest of the problems. :-)

What's that first word?  {Hollan}?  Maybe "language-place"?  {lan} is
a verb; {Daq} is the noun that means "site, location".... oops.  From
the context, I gather you are talking about Holland.  One missing "d"
and I'm off on a wild tangent.  Never mind.

TKD 3.3.5 indicates that {HollandDaq bIghoS} is "somewhat redundant."
{ghoS} already carries with it the idea of its object being a location,
so {Holland DaghoS} would be more correct.  But this sentence is just
a statement; did you intend it to be the command: "Go to Holland"?  If
so, you need to use the appropriate imperative prefix (see TKD 4.1.2).

{*Ganja* qa*smoke*qang} is seriously weird.  The only way to make sense
of it grammatically is if you're talking to Ganja:  "Ganja, I'm willing
to smoke you."  ~mark has already tried to help you with this; I'll get
into it as a response to a later note.