tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 26 17:11:40 1996

Re: Thesis

>Steven Boozer writes:
>> I currently have a PostScript article by another linguist, who finally got
>> hold of Okrand's dissertation, comparing Klingon with Mutsun--which I
>> cannot read until I learn how to reformat it. (Any ideas?)
>
>I suspect many of us could print it out (though I for one don't know how to
>convert it back into a useful document format).  Perhaps you could upload it to
>the FTP site.  This article sounds like great fun.  Who is the author?  Could be
>another potential KLI member out there waiting to be found.
>
>Lawrence

Actually, I don't know him personally.  He posted the following
announcement on one of the alt.startrek newsgroups. I don't think he'll
mind me re-posting it here, to an appreciative audience. <g> If he isn't
already a member, you should drop him a line.

You can go to his WWW site and get the article for yourself.
(It is compressed, so you will have to uncompress it with "gunzip".)

Marc Okrand, the author of the language of the Klingons in Startrek, has a PhD
in linguistics, on a thesis on Mutsun, one of the Ohlonean (= Costanoan)
languages.

This raises the obvious question whether Klingon is a kind of Mutsun, or,
as somebody once put it: "..., or is it a sort of generalized Athabascan with
the serial number filed off?". (Btw, Mutsun is not Athabascan, it's Penutian,
just like Mayan.)

Thanks to the new WWW catalog of all Dutch university libraries I have finally
been able to put my hands on Okrand's thesis, to answer this question.

The answer is a definite No, and I've made a four-page write-up with a
comparison of both languages:
  ftp://ftp.cs.vu.nl/pub/dick/publications/MutsunKlingonComparison.ps.gz

Sorry it isn't in HTML, but I haven't found out yet how to make overprinted
characters in HTML (if at all possible).

Dick Grune					| email: [email protected]
Vrije Universiteit				| ftp://ftp.cs.vu.nl/pub/dick
de Boelelaan 1081				| http://www.cs.vu.nl/~dick
1081 HV  Amsterdam, the Netherlands		| tel: +31 20 444 7744

Steven L. Boozer               |    			 How many ages hence
			       |    Shall this our lofty scene be acted over
[email protected]    |    In states unborn and accents yet unknown!
University of Chicago Library  |              -- Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)

Back to archive top level