tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 26 14:16:05 1996

RE: Thesis

On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, Steven Boozer wrote:

[comments on PS snipped]

> That would make it unreadable for many of us. Might I suggest, in addition
> to whatever version you prefer, you also upload a plain ASCII version to
> the KLI ftp site. Saving as an ASCII text is a simple matter in MS-Word.
> This would help those using plain, non-graphical vanilla interfaces (a
> character-based UNIX shell account over a 2400-baud modem in my case). I
> currently have a PostScript article by another linguist, who finally got
> hold of Okrand's dissertation, comparing Klingon with Mutsun--which I
> cannot read until I learn how to reformat it. (Any ideas?)

I'd have no problem with putting up a copy in ASCII; the only problem you
might run into is the fact that I have a large number of footnotes and
special formatting items in the work, and they might come out strange...

> Teresa, mazal tov on your thesis. (ter'eS, *thesis*lIjmo' qaHoy'.)
qatlho'!

> So, what was the reaction in your department on your choice of tlhIngan
> Hol as a thesis topic? (Tell us the stories of the glorious battles you
> fought!) I know that a few other students have requested information and
> have monitored the list gathering data for papers on the "Klingon language
> movement." Do you know if any of them ever published?
>
> Qapla', Steven.

I'll post glorious war stories later this weekend; at the moment, I'm
going to go to something no Klingon should ever admit: take a nap.  The
defense was a great battle, and it's worthy of the song I'll sing of it,
but if I tried to sing it right now I'm sure I'd be quite off-key!

Teresa

Back to archive top level