tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 20:07:33 1996

Re: Indexing all Klingon words

Jarno Peschier <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I even have an idea of a new project for the KLI:
> >It could be called CAT (Computer Assisted tlhIngan-Hol).
> >
> >With the aid of Computer make a list of all possible words in Klingon
> >by joining roots with all possible affixes.
> >
> >That will create word we don't even dream of now.
>
> Nice idea, but would that really be useful? Wouldn't an awful lot words in
> the resulting [huge, because the number of permutations/combinations would
> be huge, I think] list be nonsense? And the program would simply make
> composed words, not their actual meanings as well, right?

Of course if you consider only joining prefixes to verbs - useless.
But think of combined words of the type of "nentay" and other rites, etc.
YOU CAN MAKE THE PROGRAM MAKE MEANINGS (combining DIvI' Hol meanings).

> >I remember a similar project in Esperanto which succeeded in creating words
> >like "Esperantozauro" and alike.
>
> And did people find this a useful project in general? In the sense that
> words turned up that really nobody could have thought of by himself, should
> the need for such a word arrise?

Yeah, some of the words were just funny, but some appeared very useful,
e.g. "fiac^eguleto" - a fine curse - epithet composed of the suffixes and
alone (suffixes functioning as roots) OR verbal use of the adjectives
("oni verdas" = it's green (in the fields or about the traffic lights).

macheq

lasciate ogni speranza voi qu'entrate