tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 11 07:28:37 1996

"X-Daq X-Daq je"

nughItlh ghunchu'wI':

>yaHwIjDaq juHwIjDaq je De'wI'mey vIghun.

I need some opinions from the list at large here -- can locatives be
conjoined like this?
 <<<<<<<<<<<<<

suffix, such as <-Daq>, doesn't change a noun into something else. It's
still a noun, and <je> can join two (or more) such nouns. Therefore, I
support pagh's usage in
(1)      yaHwIjDaq juHwIjDaq je De'wI'mey vIghun.

vuDwIj 'oH wuqvam'e' je: You can also use a noun-conjunction to join
nouns with *different* Type 5 suffixes. For example, if you ask me to
name some of the spaceports I know, I might answer:
(2)      Qo'noSDaq tera'Daq romuluSvo' je vIchIjpu'.
         I've navigated to Kronos and to Terra and from Romulus.

Granted, this is an unusual situation. If you ask me what I was doing on a
certain date, I'd be more likely to answer
(3)      Qo'noSvo' tera' maS vIchIjtaH.
         I was navigating from Kronos to Earth's moon.
 with no conjunction. I deliberately formulated the context of example (2)
to allow for disconnected destinations and origins. But I can't see any
syntactic reason to reject it.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level