tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 09 14:09:49 1996

KLBC: jabbI'IDwIj wa'DIch

poH nI' qaStaHvIS jabbI'Id ghomvam vIlaDtaH.  DaH jISo'Ha' 'ej jIghItlh.  pagh 'oH tlhIngan
pongwIj'e' 'e' vIwIv.  Eric  Andeen 'oH tera'ngan pongwIj'e'.  Phoenix, Arizona-Daq jIyIn.
yaHwIjDaq juHwIjDaq je De'wI'mey vIghun.

I have been lurking on (reading) this list for some time.  I will now de-lurk and write.  I
have chosen <pagh> for my Klingon name.  My terran name is Eric Andeen.  I live in Phoenix,
Arizona, and I program computers at work and at home.

wa'Hu' Hamlet vIHev.  paqwIj 'oH cha'vatlh cha'maH cha'. 'IHchu'.  De' boS be'nalwI' 'ej
paqmey'e' Sovbej.  pIp nav  je QaQba' 'e' muja'.  'ach Qu'meywIj vIta'be'taHvIS, paqwIj
ghajtaH be'nalwI'.  nom vIta'.

Yesterday, I received my copy of Hamlet (number 222), and it is beautiful.  My wife is a
librarian (information collector) and knows much about books, and she approves of the quality
of the printing (the paper and binding (spine) are good).  However, she held the book hostage
until I completed my chores.  I completed them rapidly.

This may be a bit more than a beginner can handle (that's up to ghunchu'wI' to decide), but I
In the future, if my Klingon is judged to be decent, I will dispense with the English in my
Klingon messages.  I'm going through David Barron's excellent postal course (slowly: I never
was good with homework).

A note to ghunchu'wI': I have read your standard introduction many times, so I know who you
(and many of the other illustrious tlhIngan Hol speakers) are.  I started reading a bit before
your promotion.  And thanks for taking one of the leading contenders for my Klingon name {{:-)

I chose <pagh> as my Klingon name for three reasons:

1. I like the sound of it.  It is simple (one sylable, three letters) and follows all of the
rules (unlike most of the Klingon names in Star Trek).

2. It has an honored tradition: Commander Riker served aboard the Klingon Vessel Pagh in the
TNG episode 'A Matter of Honor'.  I also knew and admired a (non-Klingon) warrior who called
himself 'zero'.

3. I am a lapsed mathematician.  I won't get philosophical here, but I will say that the
theoretical foundation of modern mathematics is Set Theory (using the ZFC axioms), and the
construction of just about everything (starting with the natural numbers and moving on to the
reals, etc.) starts with the empty set, which at the lowest level is equivalent to zero
(pagh).

Qapla',
pagh

Back to archive top level