tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 09 08:52:20 1996

Re: "Qo'noS ta'puq, Hamlet lotlut. lut 'ay' wa', lut 'ay'Hom

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >> chovnatlhwIjDaq mI' wa'vatlh cha'maH cha' ghItlhlu'.
> >>
> >> The translation of "what number" troubles me.  I can't quite convince
> >> myself that {nuq mI'} is the right way to say it, but I also can't come
> >> up with a better way to express it.
>
> >I agree that {nuq mI'} sounds wrong. In English, "what" can be
> >used either as a noun ("What is that?) or an adjective ("What
> >number do you have?"). In Klingon, {nuq} acts as a noun only.
>
> In one of the tapes, I recall a question asked of a hotel guest: nuq 'oH
> mI'lIj'e', tera'ngan?  We can do the same:
>
> nuq 'oH paqlIj mI'?

This is good, except of course for the omitted {-'e'}. Hey, I
caught myself making the same error recently, but apparently
nobody else did...

nuq 'oH paqlIj mI''e'?

> paq loS vIghaj jIH.

paq *D* Daghaj'a' je?