tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 06 05:46:20 1996

Re: Noun order? (was Re: qay' wanI')

According to Ford Prefect:

> Chances are, I simply do not know enough about the language to comment, but
> in the passage of this message [qay' wanI'] I noticed something that at least
> looked to me as a little strange:
>
> [snip snip snip]
>
> > jupwI' pongna' vIQoychu'. pay' QumwI' vIbuSchoH. motlhbe'...
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> [snip snip snip]
>
> I read this underlined construct as "My friend of the definite name", as TKD
> suggests - N1-N2 to be read as N1 of the N2 or N2's N1. If the word order is
> reversed, I might read "The definite name of my friend", which seems to make
> much more sense to me.

You do have it backwards. This could either be read as "my
friend's definite name" or "the definite name of my friend"
which is exactly what I meant to express. Look again in TKD. It
says N1's N2 or N2 of N1. You apparently misremember this. See
page 30-31.

> Like I said, the chances are that I am the one wrong (as I have been many a
> time before...)

This will change over time.

> Ford

charghwI'