tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 04 08:18:01 1996

Re: KLBC Indians (Re: toughie)

> I've
>been studying languages for a long time, and I must confess I never knew
>that etymology for America (I thought it was Amerigo Vespucci's name;
>wasn't he Italian and not Germanic?)  I'm not proud of not knowing it, but
>if I didn't know it, is it reasonable to expect your average reader to?
>What do you gain from this fanciful translation aside from making the
>sentence harder to understand?  The whole point of language is to
>facilitate communication.  Translations like this would be
>counterproductive.

 There is a small boarder town is the Netherlands called America, an that
name does mean "on the heather". Amerigo Vespucci's was Italian. I guess I
just like confusing people and seeing where it leads them. (see Re nice
picture and KLBC)

Qapla'

Daniel

Back to archive top level