tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 03 12:23:30 1996

Re: the casual use of {nuqneH}

Daniel writes:
>The reason I wrote {jI-} in the second sentence, instead of {vI-}, was
>because I hadn't defind the object.

Whether you defined it or not, there still *is* an object.  It can remain
unstated, but the meaning of the verb as you used it requires that the
prefix indicate that the object exists.  {jIneH} means "I want."  Wanting
is what I do.  {vIneH} means "I want [it]."  I desire something, but I
didn't say what it was in this sentence.

>>{cholegh vIneH} "I want you to see me."  Note: {neH} is the only verb that
>>doesn't use {'e'} as its object in a construction like this (TKD 6.2.5).
>>{HuchlIj vIneH} "I want your money."
>
>Wouldn't it be {qa-} in the first sentence or is it because "...to see me."
>is the object instead of "you"?

It's because the object is the entire sentence "you see me".  {neH} is a
bad example here.  Other verbs use the pronoun {'e'} as the object, which
represents the previous sentence.