tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 30 17:41:09 1995

Re: }} "like" question

On Sat, 30 Sep 1995, d'Armond Speers wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Jim Boniface wrote:

> We don't have a device for simile in Klingon, but you can try various
> circumlocutions, such as

In PK, we have {Dejpu'bogh Hov rur qablIj} which is translated as
"Your face looks like a collapsed star!"   Isn't this a simile?

> bIreHDI' tera'ngan Darur

In this case, instead of using {rur} (to resemble, "to look like"),
I would use {Da} (to act in the manner of, "to act like").

tera'ngan Darur.  (You look like a Terran.)
tera'ngan DaDa.  (You act like a Terran.)
bIreHDI' tera'ngan DaDa.  (When you play, you act like a Terran.)

> > Jim

> --Holtej

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level