tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 22 17:01:53 1995

Re: }} A Long Time

According to [email protected]:

> The challenge here is for you folks to translate back into English the
> following sentence so I can tell if I am on the right track for what I am
> really trying to say.
>
> Here goes:
>
> loS jaj rInpa' paqvetlh vInejpu'

I just deleted about two screens of commentary when I realized
that this is not a legal sentence because of the word order.
You have taken the special case of {rIntaH}, which was created
in order to justify Valkris's English lip movements later
redubbed in Klingon in ST3 and expanded on it to both replace
the {-taH} suffix with {-pa'} AND to use it on a noun instead
of a complete sentence.

I can't buy it.

I could go on about the different things this could mean if the
word order were different, but I think that would miss your
initial point, which is, "Can I take {rIntaH} which can be used
following a sentence to indicate an emphatic perfective on the
main verb and instead use {rInpa'} on a time-oriented noun to
indicate a point in time when the time period ends?"

To that question, the answer is, "No."

Not even close.

> comments, please!!!

> peHruS