tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 18 20:12:35 1995

Re: }} A quick question (for Klingon Paintball)

Jim Boniface writes:
> Anyway, Would I use clipped Klingon? And how would I clip something like
>"there are 3 enemies to the right" (the 3 and right will be changing). I was
>thinking something like "3 to the right" , "5 to the left", " 1 in the
>center" if that is correct, then wouldn't  center be the verb?

A short "1 in the center" sounds okay here, or even just "1 center".
But "center" is not the verb, it's the location.  You've clipped
("elided") both the verb prefix and the verb itself, not to mention
the real object.  All you have left is a number standing in for the
object, and a location.  Consider that "5 to the left" is NOT a
complete sentence in English.  What would an equivalent complete
sentence be?  What is its verb, and its subject?  I know several
candidate sentences that *I* would suggest, but since you only want
gentle hints, I'll leave it up to you to figure out some complete
sentences -- first in English, then in Klingon.  Once you have all
the words there, you can identify what "parts of speech" they are.