tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 07 11:49:02 1995

Re: }} Chakotay -- what did he say?

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >From: [email protected]
> >Date: Wed, 06 Sep 1995 15:34:05 -0700 (MST)

> The only Native American language I'm *anywhere* into studying (and not
> very far there AT ALL) is Cherokee, and I don't know enough to judge this
> (then again, I haven't tried looking the word(s) up in my textbook).  The
> most I can say is that so far as I can tell "akuchimoya" is consistent with
> the phonology of at least some dialects of Cherokee (a-ku-tsi-mo-ya in
> more-or-less standard transliteration).  But it's also consistent with the
> phonology of Japanese, so that doesn't sound like really pwerful evidence.

What little Cherokee I've heard pronounced is unlike anything
I've heard on Voyager. The Cherokee basically pronounce the
hyphens - they emphasize every syllable almost equally with
something near a pause between each one, as if it were a
separate word. Syllables don't slide together.

I definitely get the sense that the Cherokee generally speak
very slowly.

> ~mark

Will
--