tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 05 00:09:47 1995

Re: }} Resultative Verb Compounds

>I have been wanting to say:  I cut his head off.  Then I heard on the tape my
>answer.
>
>nachDaj vIpe' 'e' chev

"I cut his head; [something] separates that" sounds pretty wierd.
I don't have the tapes, so I'm working at a disadvantage here, but
I think the sentence I've heard discussed was a command for a pet
to "Bite his leg off!"  Wasn't that {'uSDaj yIchop yIchev}?
"Bite his leg!  Separate it!" is quite reasonable.  With that model,
I would say {nachDaj vIpe' vIchev} "I cut his head; I separate it."
Perhaps you have misinterpreted the tape, hearing {'e'} for {vI'}.

>Therefore, it appears to me that this is the formula for all resultative verb
>phrases (in Mandarin we call them resultative verb compounds).

yIyep!  wa' mu'tlheghmo' neH bImeqtaH.
"resultative verb phrase" yIDel.
"purpose clause" jatlhlu'meH <-meH> lo'nISlu' 'e' vIHar.

>Qap wanI'vam 'e' vItul

vIHon.